Citizen Actors North Korea – Part 2

Yesterday I wrote about North Korean citizen actors and how I didn’t really believe they were employed on the Pyongyang metro for the benefit of tourists, but there were some instances on our trip that we felt we had encountered citizen actors. Below two women play a board game on the Koryo Museum grounds in Kaesong. So engrossed in their game that they ignored our presence as we passed by, but just a short time later I backtracked to get a few more pics and they were gone.

North Korea in Blank and White

North Korea in Blank and White

North Korea in Blank and White

North Korea is officially an atheist state with all of the people’s attention and energy directed to the personalty cult of Kim II-sung and Kim Jong-il – that’s why I suspect the monk below is actually an actor working at the Pohyon Buddhist Temple, but I could be wrong.

Buddhist Monk in North Korea

9 responses

1. Great shots!

December 23, 2011 at 7:10 pm

2. Hey, we had a similar experience with citizen actors at the Great People’s Study Hall in the computer lab. We arrived a few minutes early and had to wait before being allowed in. Then, once in, the people were so engrossed in their intranet studies that even when we would stand in front of them and clap our hands or make a loud noise, they wouldnt look up!

December 29, 2011 at 6:23 am

• I didn’t really have the feeling that the People’s Study Hall was one big show – yes we were ignored when we busted into classes, but we were never required to wait while they set up the scene for us. Some of the guys did however open the wrong door and crash into some gigantic lecture hall filled with people – our guides kinda panicked on that one as they ushered us away.

December 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm

• Damien

I got to give a speech to the classroom of English students in the study hall! They repeated everything I said until I said “I am an American”. Then it just got strangely quiet! Like you though, the trip changed my life. Can’t wait to go back!

December 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm

• LOL – that’s awesome, we kinda had that experience in the elevator with the guide from the Homeland Liberation Museum. After telling us with glee how she expected the USA to be annihilated during our next conflict she asked where we were all from – 5 big American men answered causing a very awkward silence, but she was awesome and bust out with “I love American civilians!”

December 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

3. Damien, you might enjoy our podcast recorded from inside DPRK – we believe it’s the first ever

December 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm

• Damien

Awesome. I’ll check it out for sure!

December 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm

• Rolling Stone writer and best selling author Neil Strauss made the trip with us and joined us for the podcast – pretty cool stuff

December 29, 2011 at 4:47 pm